Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Oh My #$%^!@& Goodness!!!!!!!

A few days ago, I had THEE single most unpleasant test in my whole entire life...hands down. 

LONG Back story version: 
I never had allergies while I lived in Florida. The word allergy was a very foreign concept to me and it wasn't even part of my vocabulary. I don't even think I knew anyone who had allergies....either that or I was completely oblivious to people who suffered from this horrible, HORRIBLE condition.

Fast forward to 2006 and my move to the DMV, no not the Department of Motor Vehicles. DMV as in DC (D), Maryland (M) and Virginia (V) metro area, for those of you who don't know. You're welcome.

Anyway, one spring afternoon, my throat and ears were really really itchy and my eyes were watery but I didn't really think anything it. About two years later, I got really sick, so sick I was out of work for a couple of days. I had the chills, the worst pressure headache which was so bad I would feel really dizzy, sniffles, terrible coughing, the works. Turns out I had horrible sinus infection and was given a cocktail of medication, 6 pills to be exact, never mind the fact that all but 2 of the medicine worked and I was back in my doctors office 2 weeks later to try some new medication which thankfully worked. But I digress. My doctor then informed me that I had allergies and put me on Nasonex and told me to also start taking Zyrtec. Zyrtec by the way cost a little over a dollar per pill and is almost never on sale :-(

Fast forward again to the beginning of this year...I was dreading the spring pollen season, dreading it so bad that I took a vacation to Accra to escape the peak pollen season. But that plan didn't work out...I was sneezing and itching away while I was in Accra too. I've been sneezing, itching and sniffling since late last year ergo I decided to make an appointment to see an otolaryngologist and this is where my story begins....

Short version:
I had an allergy test done and I got pricked 75, SEVENTY FIVE(!) times. In one hour. Nurse wanted to do an additional 10 shots. I declined. I had no idea what I was in store for as I was thinking it was going to be an allergy scratch test the whole time. It wasn't. I got 75 different allergens of various  concentrations placed under my skin on both arms. I considered 'breaking free' and running out of the office each time she poked me. Oh, and I also happen to have a deep fear of needles... Each shot costs $13, multiply by 75. Thank God my insurance covers it 100%.

I was numb when she opened up the pack of syringes (about 40 per pack) and the only thought that kept running through my mind was surely, she will not be using ALL THOSE on me. She did. She also opened up a second pack. I started to shake. I went into panic mode when I set eyes what seemed like a million and one vials of allergens. I kept telling the nurse that I was in a nightmare. I repeated a lot, too many times to count. Torture ended. I drove straight to the shopping center and treated myself.

This is what the test looks like...35 on one arm and 30 on the other. IT SUCKED


My head hurts again just thinking looking at this picture.


4 comments:

  1. Wow...that is REALLY harsh since I know exactly what you are talking about since it is my field of research. For research purposes I've Personally skin prick tested about 800 children with a panel of not more than 7 allergens but 75?!! I'm surprised they did not opt to do them on your back...but I guess that is really reserved for children...Were you skin prick test positive for any...if I may ask? Interesting I JUST attended a meeting all about allergies in Geneva http://www.eaaci2012.com/SiteSpecific/EAACI2012/StartPage.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just award you a gold star for being able to go through that skin prick testing panel...sooooo many!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, thanks Abena for the gold medal! I will wear it with pride.

    Honestly, I had NO IDEA what I was getting into. I just knew that I was getting some kind of allergy testing...I think I was thinking more of a scratch test, but I wasn't sure.

    Most of my indoor allergies came back negative, with about 3 or 4 that were in the mild to moderate category. The outdoor allergies were about 5 which were also moderate however I had a severe reaction to oak tree allergen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting...You must have spent your formative years in a non-tropical environment given the reaction to oak tree allergen....well, not necessarily formative years but sometime in a temperate climate to be "sensitized" to oak tree as we say. However, if you did not, then that would be very interesting....it could be possible that some tree in Ghana has allergens with shared protein structures as oak tree! Good luck with narrowing it down...

    ReplyDelete